12 September, 2006

Engaged


There are some people who thought this would never happen. And at times in my life, I was one of them. But on Friday night, I got to see the good Lord's provision first-hand. I took Jenni up to Scenic Overlook outside of town which was the site of our first kiss. As we watched darkness descend on the Konza prairie we talked about our relationship and some of our favorite memories.

At one point, Jenni reminded me that our first visit to Scenic Overlook was after my mother's birthday party where she had met my family for the first time. She said, "I remember thinking that I really loved those people (my family)." To which I replied, "Well, I hope you'll be willing to love them for a long time." I then sat her on a nearby bench, got down on one knee, pulled out the ring and said, "Jenni, I love you. Will you marry me?" She said "Yes" immediately and there was much rejoicing! Hooraaayyyyy!

In the few days since, there have been times when we have both gotten nervous or frustrated with the process. But the experience of helping each other through those moments gives me a glimpse of what marriage could be like and makes me even more excited. We aren't sure what we will do next in life. We are both in campus ministry and want to continue to develop healthy leaders and laborers for the kingdom, we just don't know where or how yet. We will keep you posted. (Note: I said "we")

8 comments:

Jeff said...

YEAH Brent. Congratulations.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Brent,
Count me as one of those who knew that you would get married one day. I always knew that your manliness was way too much for the women to resist.

I am overjoyed with you and am looking forward to your decisions and the fruit of your growing family.

The Bearded said...

I'm still willing to stand in for you...just let me know when and where.

Larka said...

Yeah Brent,
Way to go! You got major points from the beginning for pursuing well and having a plan. I hope the planning won't wear out the fun but I think you were right that there will be more teamwork and working out to be had down the road.
Congrats, Larka

Unknown said...

Need I scream in type more to let you know just how excited i am?!?! :) Way to go, Brent. You waited so patiently for the Lord, and He has obviously provided His VERY best for you!!! Thanks for providing an example of godly patience in the midst of a heart's desire. But most of all, again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!

mariscolgan said...

you both are wonderful. i've enjoyed and have been encouraged in seeing you both grow together through this season of your lives, through tragedy and joy...i'm excited for what's next for you both! blessings to you. maris c.

{ann} said...

Oh Brent and Jenni! Eric and I are so happy for you! I lurk around your post every so often because I am so encouraged by your love for the Lord and your patience in waiting for His perfect timing (and now help meet). Great Blessings to you both and YIPPEE!
Eric and Ann Berg

Andy McCullough said...

Brent, congrats man. Thanks awesome.