18 July, 2006

In Memoriam - Diane Watson (1937-2006)


Surrounded by her family and friends, my wonderful mother, Diane Donaldson Watson (pictured with her boys ca. 2003), went home to be with the Lord this evening at 6:26pm. Two days ago, there was no way we could have forseen what has transpired. Sometime early Tuesday morning, my mother suffered a second stroke while in the hospital. When my brother arrived this morning around 6:30, it appeared that she was sleeping soundly. But when her doctor arrived an hour later and was not able to rouse her from her sleep to examine her, we knew the end was near. We stayed by her side all day and were with her when she passed. It was a sacred moment that, while profoundly sad, is one I will always cherish. Her final words to me when I left Monday night around midnight were, "I love you." I couldn't have asked for more. She was one of the most generous, giving and caring people I've ever known and my brother and I will miss her more than words can express. Yet there is so much that was wonderful about her and how she touched others around her that I believe her life is worth remembering joyfully even as we mourn. In Romans 12, the apostle Paul commands us to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. I invite you to enter into either or both as the Lord leads.

5 comments:

jkirlin said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Anonymous said...

Brent,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I was filing today and caught up with your recent newsletters and decided to check out your blog.

As you know, we are nearing the year mark for the loss of Cathy's Dad who lived with us the last 14 months of his life. His last days went much more rapidly than we could have expected. It was a blessing that his time of struggle against his illness was over and even more that he went to be with the Lord. Our loss is significant, as we have lost his fellowship and friendship here but was his gain.

This past Sunday at church we had a memorial service for a fellow member's mother (Michele Pike). I did not know her mother but it was encouraging to hear of her life. Why is that we wait until people have died before we reflect on their good lives?

We will ask God to comfort you in the days ahead as only He can. Let's know know if we can be of any help.

David and Cathy Barfield

klasieprof said...

I"m so Sorry for your loss. Your mom sounds like she had tremendous strength. That is a wonderful legacy to leave for her sons.

May you continue to be comforted.

{ann} said...

Brent,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. We went through what sounds like the same situation with my mother May 2005. My mother was the great encourager and is greatly missed. Still many days when I have something exciting to tell her when I go to pick up the phone . . . and it hits. Still happens all to frequently. But the Lord's timing is perfect and I take great joy in that and I pray that you do as well. Please give me a call when you are up in Lincoln next time, would love to catch up with you.

Eric Berg and the Berg Family

Andy McCullough said...

Brent, i am sorry to read about your mom's passing. I saw your blog address on facebook and read about your engagement to Jenni and then read this. What a season of mixed emotions. praying for you bro.